Wednesday, September 19, 2012

SO Gorgeous!

OMG!  What a beautiful day we're having here!  After the hellish sweltering days of summer, talk about a welcome change.   Started out around 40 degrees, and now in the afternoon, it's around 75.  I'm not sure which I love more, the days like this that come after a hot, horribly dry, summer.....or the ones that come after winter has had us in its icy grip.

Either way, they remind me of the days when I was a teenager in our small town.  And I'm seriously not talking about the kind of "small" that John Cougar Mellencamp was talking about in his song, where he's referring to Indianapolis, IN.  (Seriously?)  I'm referring to a town with LESS than 4000 people.  (You could probably count cats and dogs and not get over 4500.)

We don't have a Walmart, a McDonald's, a Dairy Queen, or even a Taco Bell.  (There are rumors of a McDonald's, but I'll believe it when I'm chomping down on a Big Mac and fries!)  We do have a Fred's and a Dollar General, a Subway, and even a Sonic.  But that's about the end of the "chains."

When I was a kid, on Friday and Saturday nights, all the teenagers with cars would go "uptown" and "cruise".  Those who didn't have a car, almost always had a friend who did.  I could pack several kids into my El Camino (no jokes, please).  It was a lot easier to stuff a car back then, cause you didn't have to wear a seatbelt.  It's a wonder most of us survived!

Now, when I say "uptown" and cruise, please don't picture a long strip of town that we cruised around on.  It consisted of going from our Sonic at one end of town, to the "court square" and back.  We're talking less than 2 miles one way.  There were some nights when I literally put over 100 miles on my car without ever leaving town.  Once, I went uptown and parked my car and just stood around visiting with my friends on one of the many empty parking lots in town.  (The cue when you met someone to get them to "pull over" was to flash your lights, and your friends knew look for you on the side of the road on their next pass thru town.)
Anyway, when I got home, I bragged to my parents about only putting 7 miles on my car that night.  The response?  "It's not 7 miles to town..."  Oops...

But there was nothing better than cruising town on a Sunday afternoon that has weather like today's has been, with the radio blasting all those great 80s hits.  Brings back some big hair memories.

Happy Hump Day!

Melissa



No comments:

Post a Comment