Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Random Memory.....Stepmom

Have you ever watched a movie that you just LOVED, but only watched it one time?  Stepmom with Julia Roberts and Susan Sarandon is one of those movies for me.  (Yes, there is a Why, glad you asked.)

I'd say it's probably been about 13 years+ since I watched it.  It was a Sunday morning, and all was quiet in the house.  The Hubs and Munchkin were both sleeping in.  (Something I would normally do, but for some reason I was awake.)  This particular morning, as I was flipping thru the channels, I saw that Stepmom was on.

Being the movie fanatic buff that I am, I decided to watch it.  I love Julia Roberts in almost anything, and who could forget Susan Sarandon in Rocky Horror Picture Show?  (I'd love to be a fly on the wall someday in one of those theaters where they act out parts of that movie and have all these lines to say during it.  I'd be scared to actually ATTEND one of those as a human.  I mean, have you SEEN those people?)

Where was I?
Oh yes, Stepmom.  So.  Here's the scene.....I'm sitting on my couch, alone, watching this incredibly sad movie.  It's coming up to the part where the two moms are sitting in a coffee shop, discussing the children.

Isabel: (Julia Roberts, the stepmom):  Look down the road to her wedding. I'm in a room alone with her, fixing her veil, fluffing her dress, telling her no woman has ever looked so beautiful. And my fear is she'll think, "I wish my mom were here."
Jackie Harrison: (Susan Sarandon, the real mom, who is dying of cancer): And my fear is... she won't.
 


Somewhere in this conversation, Munchkin wakes up (she's probably, IDK, 3 years old?), comes into the living room, and sits down on the other end of the couch with one of her dolls (stuffed animal?  some toy?  I disremember).  Meanwhile, I've not only teared up, but am actively crying.  Box of Kleenex in hand, the whole 9 yards.    As I cry harder and harder, Munchkin scoots closer and closer to my end of the couch.  She's eyeing me closely, but not saying a word.  I don't think she'd ever seen her mama cry, much less SOB like I was doing. (Normally I'm not a very emotional person, but something about this movie struck a nerve.  Something about being a mom, and being scared you won't be there to see your kid grow up, or something like that.)

By the time the above lines in the conversation actually take place, she's sitting on the arm of the couch RightNextToMe.  As I TOTALLY lose it over that line, she starts patting me on the shoulder, and says, "Don't cry Mommy, it be ok."

Wow.  Many sniffles, snuggles, and cuddles later, I finally convinced her I was ok.

I think it was just the idea that if something ever did happen to me, not only would I not be around for her wedding (graduation, kids, etc.). But that she wouldn't even remember when I WAS there.  I think I can let go of that particular fear now that she's nearly 17, but at the time, it was pretty scary.

Needless to say, the next time I saw that movie for sale, I bought it.  And. Never. Watched. It. Again.
I just can't bring myself to.  I don't know if I'm scared it will bring on the same kind of reaction, or if I'm scared it won't.  But in case I ever do feel the need to watch it again, it's sitting right there on the shelf, waiting.  (Maybe when Munchkin becomes a mom, like 20 years from now!)

Happy Hump Day!
Melissa








No comments:

Post a Comment